Dyeing Experiments

Last weekend, I decided to see if any of the plants/trees around my house (aside from the Goldenrod) have dyeing powers.  I walked around and picked 10 different types and took pictures to try to document what they were:

IMG_4328 IMG_4372

I put them each into a bag with yarn, water, alum, and citric acid (because my water ph tends to be really high).  Then I sealed all the bags, but I didn’t take all the air out.  I thought they were so pretty!  My family thought I was weird.

IMG_4375 IMG_4376

I simmered them for a while, then I left them to cool in the pot.  They are still in the pot in my basement.  I’m going to give them a few weeks to sit.  Then I’ll go see what my science experiments revealed.

I was inspired to try this by a post by SpinningAnna.

This entry was posted in Dyeing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Dyeing Experiments

  1. Pingback: Dyeing Experiment Results | Flecks of Fiber

Comments are closed.